Tuesday, January 18

Fresh Start for a New Semester

A Minnesota student decided this week to start off the new semester with a new font. “I use my laptop in all of my classes. For my first year of school, I used the old standard: Times New Roman. Last semester, I used Times New Roman for one class and Arial for the others. But, I mean, Times New Roman and Arial are so common. It’s all I ever see. I wanted a change. So I decided, new semester, new font. There were a lot of appealing choices. I like Verdana, but it was a little too big. Fewer words fit on each line. Same problem with Courier New.” After much soul-searching, the woman chose Franklin Gothic Book. “Nimbus Script was tempting, but it was a little too fancy. And you can’t really read it. In the end, Franklin Gothic Book seemed like an OK choice.”